Friday, July 14, 2006
The Interest on Game Design
I'm very interested in creating game. I have this interest since I'm 7 years old ...
13 years ago ...
One day, I went to my cousin's house. I saw him playing something in front of a TV. That's first time I knew that something very fun existed in this world. Atari, a console which is very old and has been forgetten by many people in this new age. But for that time, it was very popular. He told me that he was controlling the character inside the TV, I felt that it was very interesting thing. Since that, I went to my cousin's house and visited him for every Sunday (actually visited Atari). I started to be addicted in playing game. But I didn't forget to do my homework and do revision before exam :-).
But actually it influenced my life. I didn't have the console game in my house. So everytime when I was free, I took out few sheet of paper and 2 pens or pencils, started to "play game". Normally I played action game, that was controlling a character to move, attack, or do other action to achieve the missions in the game. Firstly, I drew the terrain, obstacles, powerups, enemies and so on for my game on the paper. Then, I used 2 pens, one was used to draw the motion of my character and one was used to draw the motion of the enemies. Then I started to challenge my "creation". I played as the game player and also AI controller. Hehe...
I really crazy in game. I could not stop myself from thinking of game. When I was in class, teacher was teaching in front, I was thinking about what game I liked to create. Actually I was listening to the class, but at the same time, I was thinking about game, so I listened something and missed something. More serious thing was ... anything, any place also could be my imaginative game environment. In my imagination, controlling my imaginative character, fighting with my imaginative enemies. Everytime I was playing game, I thinked about how to create the game, how to make the game more challenging. At that time, I hoped that I can be a game creator in the future.
Since I had my own PC, I always searched for the program which could be used to create the motion of characters. After I played a game named Starcraft, I discovered that Starcraft provided the Map Editor which can be used to create my own map and play with it. This feature enhanced my interest in designing game. I always thinked that how to create a creative and fun map. People felt that I was doing something bored, but I felt that it was very fun. I used the Map Editor to create my own game story, sport game (race, wrestling, badminton ... ), role playing game (RPG), and so on. But I was not really like to use the Map Editor because the games that I could create was limited.
Finally, I could start my programming life since I discovered the first programming book with trial version software -- Macromedia Flash MX in visiting KL with my mother and relative. I could not believe that I found this good thing. After I read the content in the book, I believed that I got the thing I wanted. The Flash MX gave me the hope for being a game creator. After using it, I knew the way to create game.
After I came to MMU, I realized that many programs could be used to create game, such as Visual Basic, Visual C++, Java, Direct-X and so on. The second programming software that I used was Visual Basic, that was in my Alpha year, and the third programming software was C++ in my Beta year. Currently, I'm learning Java. Hmm ... Until now, all the programming languages except Flash that I learn just reach to the level that have not enable me to create game. Only by using Flash, I can create the game as I wish. But, I discover that Flash don't allow me to create a complicated game because it is easy to get lagging in run-time. So, I cannot only use the Flash program, I should learn more effective programming language so that I can create any complicated game as I like.
I hope that I can use C++ or Direct-X because so far many popular games are created by using those programs. "Gambateh" (More effort) for myself in learning game design and also all the future game developers. :-)
I'm very interested in creating game. I have this interest since I'm 7 years old ...
13 years ago ...
One day, I went to my cousin's house. I saw him playing something in front of a TV. That's first time I knew that something very fun existed in this world. Atari, a console which is very old and has been forgetten by many people in this new age. But for that time, it was very popular. He told me that he was controlling the character inside the TV, I felt that it was very interesting thing. Since that, I went to my cousin's house and visited him for every Sunday (actually visited Atari). I started to be addicted in playing game. But I didn't forget to do my homework and do revision before exam :-).
But actually it influenced my life. I didn't have the console game in my house. So everytime when I was free, I took out few sheet of paper and 2 pens or pencils, started to "play game". Normally I played action game, that was controlling a character to move, attack, or do other action to achieve the missions in the game. Firstly, I drew the terrain, obstacles, powerups, enemies and so on for my game on the paper. Then, I used 2 pens, one was used to draw the motion of my character and one was used to draw the motion of the enemies. Then I started to challenge my "creation". I played as the game player and also AI controller. Hehe...
I really crazy in game. I could not stop myself from thinking of game. When I was in class, teacher was teaching in front, I was thinking about what game I liked to create. Actually I was listening to the class, but at the same time, I was thinking about game, so I listened something and missed something. More serious thing was ... anything, any place also could be my imaginative game environment. In my imagination, controlling my imaginative character, fighting with my imaginative enemies. Everytime I was playing game, I thinked about how to create the game, how to make the game more challenging. At that time, I hoped that I can be a game creator in the future.
Since I had my own PC, I always searched for the program which could be used to create the motion of characters. After I played a game named Starcraft, I discovered that Starcraft provided the Map Editor which can be used to create my own map and play with it. This feature enhanced my interest in designing game. I always thinked that how to create a creative and fun map. People felt that I was doing something bored, but I felt that it was very fun. I used the Map Editor to create my own game story, sport game (race, wrestling, badminton ... ), role playing game (RPG), and so on. But I was not really like to use the Map Editor because the games that I could create was limited.
Finally, I could start my programming life since I discovered the first programming book with trial version software -- Macromedia Flash MX in visiting KL with my mother and relative. I could not believe that I found this good thing. After I read the content in the book, I believed that I got the thing I wanted. The Flash MX gave me the hope for being a game creator. After using it, I knew the way to create game.
After I came to MMU, I realized that many programs could be used to create game, such as Visual Basic, Visual C++, Java, Direct-X and so on. The second programming software that I used was Visual Basic, that was in my Alpha year, and the third programming software was C++ in my Beta year. Currently, I'm learning Java. Hmm ... Until now, all the programming languages except Flash that I learn just reach to the level that have not enable me to create game. Only by using Flash, I can create the game as I wish. But, I discover that Flash don't allow me to create a complicated game because it is easy to get lagging in run-time. So, I cannot only use the Flash program, I should learn more effective programming language so that I can create any complicated game as I like.
I hope that I can use C++ or Direct-X because so far many popular games are created by using those programs. "Gambateh" (More effort) for myself in learning game design and also all the future game developers. :-)
Comments:
<< Home
Whoa.. I didn't know that you have such great interest since young. But I doubt that you can concentrate in class and at the same time think about games.. Haha.. Anywayz, gambateh (like you said) in your games development!!
Post a Comment
<< Home
